Tuesday, February 14, 2017

My Personal Branding

Personal branding is the essence of marketing oneself and their career as brands. The first step to personal branding is to understand our authentic self and find our unique selling point. We have to be truthful to ourselves and fully believe in it so that others can buy into it. If there is lack of belief, it is very difficult to convince others and sell our value.

I am someone who is more open-minded and easy going with people. I am self-aware that I like simplicity and do not like to complicate matters which may lead to unnecessary conflicts. With an above average self-esteem, I am less wary of my insecurities in front of others because I am content with what I have and do not dwell much into it. The understanding of my character and knowing about my preference have made me create a self-concept of treating people with sincerity and bringing joy in conversations with people. Most of my friends pinpointed out that they see me as happy-go-lucky person, which explains my self-image. All these are my expectations and perspective of how I want to portray myself in front of public.

In terms of self-disclosure, I am more reserved in giving out information about myself during the first encounter with someone or acquaintances as I do not know him or her well. I tend to observe first to understand their characteristics so as to gauge the appropriate communication method to take to leave an acceptable impression to others. Having said that, I like to make a conscious effort to get to know someone else better as interact people interaction and create good relationships with people. As for friends that I am quite familiar or close with, I usually will be open and speak out of my mind because they know my character well and understand most of my intention in doing something.

Sometimes I have to keep a professional image during work in the corporate world. I would dress in a formal outfit and be conscious of the verbal tones and words being used so as to present professionalism in front of the corporate personnel. It is important to create eye contact and be engaging with them to give a good impression.

Personal branding not only ties in closely with one's character, but it has to be tweaked according to different kinds of occasion or the different parties we interact with.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Claudia,

    Thank you for your effort in crafting this post. You have touched on the different elements of self which I felt that you have done a great job in defining the concepts. It is good to know how you perceive yourself but perhaps you could also share more about how you approach concepts such as IQ/EQ.

    For writing wise, I feel that you tend to write in long sentences which may be confusing. Perhaps you could split your sentences to prevent sentence structure problems.

    Here are my comments on the minor hiccups which can be improved:
    "Having said that, I like to make a conscious effort to get to know someone else better as interact people interaction and create good relationships with people" --> This sentence may be lengthy with repetition of words. Perhaps you could write in shorter sentences so it could be more clear and concise?

    "I tend to observe first to understand their characteristics so as to gauge the appropriate communication method to take to leave an acceptable impression to others."--> Also, this sentence has phrasing problems.

    In terms of depth of reflection, I feel that you have given ample examples relating to your personal branding. The interpretations are insightful and well supported.

    Overall, I enjoyed reading this blog post and get to know more about your personal branding. I hope you will find my comments helpful in improving your writing. I look forward to reading your future posts.

    Cheers,
    Sze Min

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sze Min,

    Thank you for your valuable comment and I will take note of these sentence structure mistakes.

    Cheers,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a really great contest and hopefully I can attend the next one. It was alot of fun and I really enjoyed myself.. inventory template

    ReplyDelete