Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Assignment 1: Self-Introduction Formal E-Mail

To: Brad Blackstone
From: Claudia Ng
Date: January 17, 2017
Subject: Self Introduction

Dear Brad,

Please allow me to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Claudia Ng and I am currently a second-year undergraduate of bachelor's degree in hospitality business with a specialization in MICE industry at Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). The purpose of this email is to introduce my educational and professional background, as well as sharing my communication strengths and weaknesses.

Prior to entering the university, I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a Diploma in Hotel and Leisure Facilities Management where I acquired both operations and management skills of the hospitality industry. Subsequently, I interned at Singapore Exhibition Services as a conference assistant and it was an enriching six-month internship where I managed to learn different aspects of events. My most recent four months industry attachment under SIT was at Ramada and Days hotel as a front office associate. I gained valuable insights of different front office functions from the rotation among service centre, concierge and front desk within the front office department.

Being an active listener and someone who enjoys human interaction, I am able to interact with most people comfortably regardless of friends or strangers. As for my communication weakness, I tend to get nervous easily during presentations and this may result in stumbling over my words or increase the usage of filler words. Having identified my weakness, I tackle it by practicing several times before each presentation. Meanwhile, I am also working towards building up my presentation confidence.

I hope you have a better understanding of me from this brief self-introduction.

Thank you.

Yours Sincerely,
Claudia Ng
Email: Claudia.Ng_2015@SIT.SingaporeTech.edu.sg

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Claudia,

    I love your clean and sleek blog template! All about that ice-cream life.

    I think by exposing yourself to both hotels and MICE, you would have a better idea on what fits you better. I also had that intention when I opted for a hotel industry attachment after going through a MICE internship back in my polytechnic days too!

    We've got so much similarities, even in the aspect of our strength and weaknesses! Onward to a valuable learning journey to overcome our communication fears and break those boundaries :-)

    I look forward to more of your posts and sharing!

    Best,
    Edna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Edna,

      I also agree that having more hospitality experiences do let us have an idea of what fits us better.

      Interesting to know that we have similarities in our strengths and weaknesses. Lets work hard and strive for better improvements!

      Cheers,
      Claudia Ng

      Delete
  3. Hi Claudia,

    I enjoyed reading your letter. I have sat in your class presentations before, but I never noticed you were nervous. I guess your practices did not go to waste! I look forward to work with you this trimester!

    Love,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Glenda,

      Thank you for not noticing my nervousness. However, I really need to practice more to really improve my confidence. I look forward to work with you this trimester!

      Cheers,
      Claudia Ng

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Claudia,

    Thank you for this well organized, clear and concise self introduction. It's very informative, especially with regard to your work experiences and communications skills. You're very experienced, and having gotten to know your character and demeanor a bit from our talks, I feel you're perfectly suited for the H&B industry.

    As for what you need to improve, speaking/presentations skills, I hope you find the module useful.

    There are a few minor problems with caps in this letter. But perhaps the main problem is misuse of the phrase "on the contrary." Check out its meaning online, and note that it doesn't fit where you have placed it.

    That is not a major issue though. What's key here is that you have communicated your background well. I look forward to reading more from you and getting to know you better.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Dear Brad,

      Thank you for identifying out the mistakes in this email and I have made some amendments.

      Claudia

      Delete
  6. Dear Claudia,

    Your first blog post is simple and easy to follow.

    Your prior internships in both the MICE and hotel industry have certainly helped you gained an all-rounded experience in the hospitality industry which would be useful for your resume.

    With your outgoing personality, I believe you will be a great fit for this people-oriented industry. Similarly, I do face the problem of getting nervous during presentations but I believe that practice always makes perfect! Let us work on our strengths and weaknesses together!

    Cheers,
    Sze Min

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sze Min,

    Don't worry, lets work on our weakness together and I believe we can overcome this obstacle!

    Cheers,
    Claudia Ng

    ReplyDelete